Employment and Internship Opportunities
KUNC is an award-winning Public Radio station offering a creative and challenging work environment. Our team is made up of creative and dedicated people who are deeply committed to the mission of KUNC.
KUNC's mission is to cultivate the mind and spirit, to inform, inspire and entertain, and to strengthen community.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits including health & dental care, life & short term disability insurance, 403b retirement, and more.
KUNC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Rural & Small Communities Reporter & Producer (SUN-THURS or TUES-SAT)
KUNC is seeking an experienced Reporter & Producer for our growing and award-winning newsroom. The Reporter/Producer works closely with KUNC’s editorial team and the Colorado Edition team to produce relevant and engaging content that’s primarily focused on rural and small community issues, including the rural/urban divide, rural health and education, demographic shifts, mountain communities, and agribusiness.
Reporter/Producer creates sound-rich, in-depth audio and web features. Reporter/Producer also produces news content for newscasts and web. Reporter/Producer produces content regularly for our daily local news program, Colorado Edition.
Skills, Education, and Experience:
- We prefer candidates with a public radio background but are open to training an applicant with news reporting experience in other media who shows a strong desire to transition to public radio reporting in the NPR style.
- Multimedia skills (audio editing, news writing for web, photography/video, social media, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with reporting assignments while still meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively, demonstrating an understanding and respect for public broadcasting in general and the diverse constituencies it serves.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and one year of experience in journalism.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus but not required.
A complete job description is available below. Please submit a resume, cover letter and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For best consideration, apply by Friday, December 6th.
Director of News
KUNC is seeking an experienced and visionary leader as KUNC’s Director of News. The Director of News will take a leadership role in designing and implementing a strategy for KUNC that will meet the needs and expectations of our community as it relates to news & information programming. The successful candidate will manage and lead a talented staff in planning, producing, and presenting relevant and engaging news & information content across various platforms with an all-encompassing vision of public media news service to the Front Range.
Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Four years professional news experience in a supervisory role required
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred, but not required
- Ability to lead a team and effectively manage and supervise staff
- Solid news judgment, including an awareness of general news
- Ability to maintain high journalistic standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at KUNC and within the public broadcasting system.
- Bilingual abilities are a plus, but not required.
Position requires a passion for developing visionary ideas, commitment to journalism ethics and principles, excellent communication skills, and prior professional news experience in a leadership role.
A complete job description is available below. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This posting will remain posted until filled.
Current Internship Opportunities:
There are no openings at this time.
About KUNC News
KUNC News is made up of a team of 15 dedicated journalists committed to telling the stories of northern Colorado. We participate in several regional journalism collaborations that include Guns & America and the Mountain West Regional Journalism Center. We provide leadership and editorial support to Capitol Coverage, a Colorado collaboration to cover the state capitol. Our internal reporters cover beats of arts & culture, education & health, growth & the economy, veteran issues, and the Colorado River. And we have worked hard to create an investigative desk that launched in May. Our editorial team consists of Director of News, Managing Editor, and Digital Editor. KUNC News operates with a team mentality, creating engaging and relevant news content with a focus on internal and external collaboration.