From the Desk of President Neil Best: Building A Better KUNC
This summer has been incredibly busy at the station with projects that are helping KUNC invest in future service to the community.
First, some technical upgrades that are taking place.
- A backup transmitter and emergency generator are being installed at our Buckhorn transmitter site. This will prevent service interruptions like those experienced during the High Park fire.
- The Federal Communications Commission has approved KUNC’s application to increase signal power for KMPB in Breckenridge from 300 to 600 watts, which will extend our signal by 20 percent. Doing so will require changing the frequency from 88.7 FM to 90.7 FM, a change that will take place in September.
- We’ve also received FCC approval for antenna changes at KVNC in Vail. The new signal pattern will improve coverage along the I-70 corridor, and will also require a change in frequency. The change from 90.7 FM to 90.9 FM will also take place in September.
- We've also completed several projects in Steamboat Springs to ensure a more reliable service to the community. We’ve upgraded the satellite receiver, installed a new transmission line, and new monitoring equipment. We’ll also be adjusting the antenna system to provide a stronger signal pattern for Steamboat and areas to the south.
- Service is also being re-established for Walden and the US-40 corridor toward Kremmling, with nearly all technical equipment at our Walton Peak translator site being replaced.
Lastly, we’re excited to announce that KUNC is expanding our music programming to the digital space. In addition to the current stream of our FM broadcast that’s available on smart phones, tablets and computers, we are launching an online 24 hour music channel.
KUNC Music 24/7 will be launching Monday, Sept. 9 at 2 p.m.
KUNC Music 24/7 will offer the same styles of music you now hear on the radio from 9 a.m.-noon and 9 p.m.-midnight on weekdays - but around the clock, every day of the week. If you’d like more music in your day, check out KUNC Music 24/7 on either your iOS or Android mobile app, or using the new web player at KUNC.org (just click 'listen').
We hope you enjoy it.
President & CEO