Denver Rounds Out The Top 10 On Nerdiest City List
Denver’s made many ‘top 10’ lists in the past. From most enlightened to most fit, Denverites have many reasons to love their city. Now it’s been ranked on a new list: The Top 10 Cities For Nerds.
Compiled by the Realtor website MovotoBlog, the list has the Mile High City coming in at number 10. Ranked as one of the best based on conventions, books stores, museums, as well as closeness to a Renaissance festival.
And why not? There’s a lot of things that make the Mile High City a gathering place for geeks, nerds, and lovers of nerds. Let’s rundown the qualifications:
- Denver’s First Comic Con was in 2012. 27,700 people attended the event over three days, making it the second biggest Comic Con opening ever. 2013 should be just as big, Wil Wheaton is going to be there.
- Is Star Trek or science fiction your thing? We got that: StarFest, the city’s multimedia Science Fiction Convention held since 1977.
- Forsooth! The Renaissance Festival of Colorado (just 38 miles down the road in Larkspur) is celebrating its 37th year.
- Denver is also home to the Tattered Cover, everyone’s favorite independent book seller. They’ve been turning the pages since 1971.
- Speaking of reading, you do remember that Denver is the 5th most literate city in the U.S. right?
- We’ve got learning. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science is
nowexhibiting Exquisite Gems of Russian Folk Life, it’s also solar powered.
- Does your town have a group of movie car buffs with KITT, the General Lee, and a Jurassic Park Jeep? Denver does, meet the Colorado Movie Cars.
- In the fall, the undead takeover downtown for the world’s biggest Zombie Crawl. Every year it just seems to get bigger…
It’s also a close-knit group. When tragedy unfolded at an Aurora movie theater during a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises, the area’s COSplay community came together to mourn some of their own who were lost.
The Complete Top 10 List:
- Atlanta, GA
- Portland, OR
- Seattle, WA
- Sacramento, CA
- Minneapolis, MN
- Boston, MA
- Las Vegas, NV
- Miami, FL
- San Jose, CA
- Denver, CO
So, what do you think Denver? Should we be higher on the list or 'worst list ever?' Let us know…
Editor's Note: Konovalenko: Gem Carvings of Russian Folk Life is an ongoing exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. We regret our error.