Students Repaint CSU's Aggie 'A'
About 200 Colorado State University students are spending their day repainting the university’s Aggie ‘A.’ The ‘A’ is located on the foothills above CSU’s Hughes Stadium and the fall tradition of repainting it dates back to the 1920’s.
Students volunteer in 3 hour shifts. They use paint sprayers to apply 200 gallons of white paint to the grass, shrubs, rocks and trees that make up the hillside ‘A.’
The emblem is 450 feet tall and 210 feet wide. The land used to construct the ‘A’ was leased to the University on a long-term basis for $1.00.
The ‘A’ is a reminder of the university’s history. CSU was formerly known as Colorado State College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts and its students and teams were called the “Aggies.”