Sunday Puzzle: TBA
On-air challenge: The theme of today's puzzle is "to be announced." Every answer is a familiar two-word phrase or name in which the first word starts with T — and the second word starts BA — .
Example: Pool of water in front of the Jefferson Memorial --> TIDAL BASIN
1. Container for refuse
2. Home of the Rays in major-league baseball
3. Something Serena or Venus Williams hits
4. Subject of a treaty limiting the development of nuclear weapons
5. Moistening device when cooking Thanksgiving dinner
6. Head person, in slang
7. Facility akin to a sauna, originating in the Ottoman Empire
8. Country's imports relative to its exports
9. Corner of a diamond between shortstop and home
10. "Oh, what a shame!"
11. Sass someone
12. Musical group that plays the songs of only one other group
13. Gift in many a public television pledge drive
Last week's challenge: Think of two well-known companies — one in 5 letters, the other in 4 letters. Write the names one after the other. The result, when spaced differently, will name a well-known geographical location in the U.S. (in two words). What is it?
Challenge answer:Mobil, eBay --> Mobile Bay
Winner: Sonya Sandoval, Payson, Ariz.
Next week's challenge:These five 2-word phrases have something very unusual in common. What is it? When you find it, think of another two-word phrase that has the same property.
If you know the answer to next week's challenge, submit it here. Listeners who submit correct answers win a chance to play the on-air puzzle. Important: Include a phone number where we can reach you by Thursday, Sept. 20at 3 p.m. ET.
Copyright 2020 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.